The Situation and the Story by Vivian Gornick
This has a promising title. I figured Gornick would give at least one example of a situation versus a story. If that information is in this book. I can’t find it.
Dreyer’s English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style by Benjamin Dreyer
- Uses “one” so often it’s hard to read at times.
- Mostly a discussion of how Dreyer sees the rules of writing. How he thinks about grammar rules, pumctuation, etc.
- A lot of complicated sentence strutures make it hard to read — ironic for a “how to write” guide.
- Dreyer tries to bring humor to grammar and word choice.
- Skipped chapters on “easily misspelled words,” “peeves and crotchets,” “confusables,” proper nouns,” and “the trimmables.”